Folks at Boy Genius Report are claiming that they have got details about Apple’s next generation iPhone OS – iPhone 4.0 from one of their trusted sources.
According to their source, iPhone OS 4.0 will allow third-party iPhone apps to run in the background and include a revamped user interface for easier navigation. But will be limited only to iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and more recent iPod Touch models.
According to BGR’s source, iPhone OS 4.0 will include the following features:
• There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
• “A few new ways” to run applications in the background — multitasking.
• Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven’t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
• The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will “put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers” more than any other phone to date. Everyone is “really excited.”
• The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
We have heard many rumors that Apple is working on allowing third-party iPhone apps to run in the background so it will be great to see it included in iPhone OS 4.0. It also looks like another strategy to push iPhone 2G users to upgrade.